Saturday, May 22, 2010

Veggies, herbs and poop.

I was finally able to plant my "garden" last weekend. I guess thats just part of living in Utah, it snows well into May. In fact, we pretty much just get screwed when it comes to spring weather... oh, AND on our power/gas bills. Can we please just have one full month where I don't have to run my heater or my AC?? Thats all I ask!! What? The garden? Was that what I was talking about?

So.. the garden. When my cousin Jared (in all his awesomeness) built us a deck last year (you can read about that HERE) he was also nice enough to build a garden box. Nothing huge, we only had one little empty corner in our small backyard to spare. I have been crazy excited to have my own little garden, mainly for the herbs. I love fresh herbs!! It costs an arm and a leg to buy them fresh at the grocery store, so this is a perfect solution. I also planted one tomato bush/tree.. uh, which is it anyway, a bell pepper and banana peppers.

I took pictures of the "building" of the garden, for your viewing pleasure.

Here is the empty box.. nothing too fancy.


I dumped three bags of top soil into the bottom of it. (I used poor quality dirt as a filler.)


Then I dumped in a big ol' bag of THE GOOD STUFF. (By this, I mean, the stuff that says "perfect for growing vegetables in your garden".) I smushed it into the corners with my toes.


Then came the exciting part. One big bag of stinky, smelly, I couldn't believe I was doing this, cow manuer. Supposedly its good for growing stuff. (BTW you cannot use human poop in your garden if you're planting food.. BUT its great for your flower beds. I just say thats gross, but then again, is cow poop any better?)

I had to mush that in with my toes too, didn't want it feeling left out.

Let the planting begin!!



I did the tomato plant in the back corner, leaving plenty of room for growth. Then I did the herbs and peppers around the front edge of the box.

(Ignore the fact that the tomato cage is resting too far above the actual plant, I still need to clip the bottoms to make it shorter.)


Now I just need to find cute little signs for the herbs and such, maybe I'll make some.

I also did a couple of pots while I was dirty, flowers make everything prettier!! Don't you agree?



Since I have planted this here garden, I have noticed that this particular corner of my backyard doesn't receive a whole lot of sun throughout the day. So hopefully they'll grow!! I'll keep you updated.

We've already used the basil in some spaghetti sauce, and chives in butter for some delicious Whole Wheat Rhodes Rolls I bought. I can't wait to use more of the herbs!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! so so cute and the Flowers are awesome. I REALLY need recipes from you

    ReplyDelete